The Trainer's Advocate

Information and Perspective regarding the dangers of licensure and the questionable motives of national boards. Contact me at: thetrainersadvocate@yahoo.com

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A Physician's Viewpoint

I had a conversation today with a practicing physician who holds an M.D. in Internal Medicine, an M.D. in Psychiatry, and an MS in Molecular Biology. He is also a reputable speaker for pharmaceutical companies, which pay him to fly all over the country to lecture and teach other physicians about new medications.

Prior to this meeting, I read through the new issue of Personal Fitness Professional. In it were a few references to 50 state standardized testing for trainers, state protocols similar to physicians for trainers, and (my favorite) how to "raise ourselves up on a pedestal next to medical doctors, at least in public perception." Now, first of all, if I was a physician who had spent several years of hard work, expensive med school, and countless sacrifices to become an M.D. and I read such a statement, I may just be a little offended, or amused, depending on the perspective. Either way, how can such a statement be taken seriously?

I have also asked why there aren't any physicians backing up this idea. I mean, you are telling us what physicians will do, but I am not hearing it from them! So today, I asked one.

Why did he choose his trainer? He had heard of my success in helping people and of my emphasis on functional training to prepare for daily life. Once he worked with me, he was impressed and believed my knowledge and approach could produce his desired results. No mention of certification or boards.

Would it make a difference to him if a trainer had passed a board exam? No. In fact, he feels that one of the biggest problems in medicine today is all of the irrational protocols surrounding the board and licensing, and that it is ultimately the patient who has suffered. He said that we have it good right now, and if someone wants to bring a board exam into the field, our road will be long and hard, and many good people will not get into the field. He cited that different states have so many different rules and tests, even with a national board states are different. He is licensed in two states, and points out that there is a 60% gap between the pass/fail rate of the two states.

Would it be a good idea for trainers to seek insurance company approval? Absolutely not! In his words we would "ruin our own lives" if we start messing with them. In his private practice, a full 8% of the earnings is paid to the medical billing services, that is whoever does the billing coding and sends it out to the insurance companies. Not to mention that they often refuse to pay! He says many doctors are going to out-of-pocket services where the client gets reimbursed directly and the physician does not deal with the insurance companies at all. Right away they are saving at least 8%! I told him that there are some cases of that going on with personal training, and he said, "then why in the world would they want insurance companies telling them what to do!"

What did he think about trainers suggesting they should market themselves on a pedestal next to medical doctors? He laughed. He said that everyone always wants to be a doctor, no matter what profession they are in, people invariably compare themselves to the M.D. His suggestion was to just be what you are, and be the best you can be at it! Get respect for what you do and how well you do it, don't worry about comparing yourself to another profession! He stated, without any coaching from me, "I think of all the years of hard work and long hours I put in to be an M.D., if you want that accomplishment and respect, you have to do the same. I respect other physicians, because I know what they went through to get here."
I think that really says it all.

(to be continued)

1 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have also asked a doctor and a chiropractor, and got pretty much the same reply.

All this raised respect hoopla is bullshit! They can't even back up their claims, no one is buying it anymore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home